Thursday 29 September 2016

CATCHER IN THE RYE CHAPTER 15 – 21

Image result for substance abuse
The image displays Holden's abuse of alcohol as a coping method for his problems, whenever he is at a bar he attempts to get an alcoholic beverage, the emphasis on the alcohol represents Holden's reliance on it 





During the chapters 15-21 in the book The Catcher in The Rye Holden makes plans with sally to watch a play, later Holden goes to eat breakfast at a sandwich bar where he encounters 2 nuns who are school teachers, after having a nice chat about Romeo and Juliet Holden donates 10 dollars and reflects upon the capitalist world. Holden takes a cab to central park to reminisce about phoebe and visit the museum. Later Holden goes to meet Sally at the hotel, and takes a cab to the theatre where Holden is irritated by the actors as they are full of themselves. After the movie the two go skating at the rink where Holden has an outburst requesting that they run away irrationally and live on his bank money, after talking and complaining about the phoniness of his school. Afterwards Holden meets up with Luce, who used to talk about the boys about mature subjects, but during their meeting at the bar Luce is irritated by Holden’s childish questions and comments, and Luce leaves. Holden later gets very drunk, and decides to go home, as he wants to see phoebe.

In the chapters 15-21 Holden feels like making irrational and rash choices simply because his life is our of control and he feels like there is no other choice “when the dough runs out, I could get a job somewhere with a brook and all and, later on, we could get married or something.”  This is obliviously an insane idea as it is clearly visible that it would never work, Holden wants to run away from everything as things are too stressful and overwhelming for him. A similar thing happened to me in the past. At the time I was under intense stress from tests and parental pressure, I felt like doing irrational actions as a last ditch stress relief method; I had ripped books at the time and broke my watch. I think I did those actions to be spontaneous, I felt like a switch flipped and I no longer applied sense and logic to my actions and I did them because I wanted to out of frustration rage and stress. I believe Holden shouting at Sally and begging her to go along with him on his journey is of the same reason.

During the chapters Holden is at the at the climax of his emotional distress, where he makes irrational decisions, uses substance abuse as a coping method, and has complete disregard for the consent of others. Firstly Holden yells at Sally when they were at the skating rink after Sally refuses to go with Holden on an unrealistic and impractical journey to run away. “’why not? Why the hell not?’ ‘stop screaming at me, please’, she said” Later on Holden talks to Luce but Luce does not want to talk to Holden about his childish questions and comments about sexual intercourse but Holden is ignorant to it thus resulting in Luce’s departure. At the bar they were at Holden gets very drunk consuming numerous alcoholic beverages despite being a minor, “I kept sitting there getting drunk and waiting.” Shortly afterwards Holden calls Sally waking Sally up, this shows Holden’s lack of concern for others. At the end of the chapters Holden decides to go home marking the end of his irrational decisions and the start to recovery.

There were 2 questions that I pondered while I read the book, firstly, why does Holden call Sally in the middle of the night despite having a recent argument, and why does Holden decide to go home when he is so drunk. For the first question I believe that Holden wanted to call Sally to apologies but couldn’t due to his state of intoxication, making things worse. As for the second question I believe that Holden did not go home because he realized that he cannot live in a hotel for much longer, but for his desire to see phoebe, his budget running out is merely a lucky confidence.

 Since I have read the entire book I will attempt to predict what happens after the ending of Holden taking phoebe to the carousel. I believe that Holden will have learned and gained a better understanding of the world through his adventure and probably apply himself in school sooner 

No comments:

Post a Comment